Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
Every week, I come to the blog to spell out what I think is happening, what I think will happen, and what we should do next. This week, friends, the shoe is well and truly on the other foot.
This week, you write the commentary.
This week, we'd like you to click through a survey, and share your thoughts. It should take only 10 minutes or so, but it is incredibly helpful for us.
Do you remember those Choose Your Own Adventure books? I looked them up on the Wikipedia, and it seems that they went out of print way back in 1998! But perhaps the spirit of “Choose Your Own Adventure” lives on, in the form of the modern Google Forms survey.
This week, we are asking what you think should happen next at camp in the summer of Corvid-20. That’s not a typo! It turns out Corvids are a family of birds commonly known as - get this - the Crow Family! So Corvid-20 is our codename for “the plan”: the plan for making the most of the summer that is (most everywhere else) defined by Covid-19.
But before we get to the survey link, let me take a few moments to tell you what this survey isn’t:
- This survey isn’t a promise: We don’t know how we are going to do a lot of things that we are asking about. Rock Climbing, for instance. How can we run safety checks on climber harnesses from 2m away? We gotta run safety checks. And we gotta stay 2m apart. Can we do both? We aren’t sure. So… when we ask questions about Rock Climbing, we aren’t promising that Corvid-20 will include Rock Climbing. We are asking for input!
- The survey isn’t a suggestion: I’ve already tipped my hand (somewhat) elsewhere, about what I think will work, and what will not work. Personally, I don’t like the idea of doing digital camp, or virtual camp, or recording daily devotions or sermons. But I genuinely want to know what you think. Maybe I am just an old fuddy-duddy. We can say for certain that I am old; would it be so surprising that I am also a fuddy-duddy? (Don’t answer that: that question is not part of the survey.)
- The survey isn’t the last word: In fact, it is the first word. It is a starting place. There are a lot of things that we haven’t thought of yet, or maybe things that aren’t possible today, but might be possible in July or August. Make suggestions. Draw new possibilities to our attention; ask us to consider the things that really matter to you. This survey is… a guess, and a first step; it certainly is not the last word.
This survey truly is an attempt to hear from you: to hear what would appeal to you; what would be useful to you; how we can best serve you, and how Crow can continue to pursue Deep Integrated Life-Giving Community.
I’m looking forward to reading everyone’s comments, and to seeing what you are thinking.
Some final thoughts:
- The COLTS leave on Thursday, 28 May for their major outtrip. Be praying for them, for safety, for community and growth, for learning, and for “learning weather”;
- We won’t be making any substantive decisions about the summer until the COLTS get back, so we will leave the survey open until Thursday, 4 June;
- The survey will take ~10 minutes to complete. If there is something you’d like to say that is not included in the survey, please drop me an email directly: email@example.com
- Please feel free to fill the survey out anonymously, but... if you leave your email address, we will draw one lucky winner, and share with them a $50 Crow Tuck Shoppe Gift Certificate! New Hoodie designs this year; you could be the first to wear it!
Thank you for your continued support. We need it!
Oh, nearly forgot: Here’s the Corvid-20 Survey Link.